- A+
For about ten or twelve days we said on south, down the coast of Africa.
我们沿着非洲海岸朝南大约航行了10或12天了。
Then one day was
saw some people on the shore- strange, wild people, who did not look friendly.
之后的一天,我们看到一些奇怪的野人,他们看起来并不友善。
By now we had very little food, and we really needed help.
我们的事物不多了,并且我们确实需要帮助。
We were afraid. But we had to go on shore.
我们很害怕,但是我们不得不上岸了。
At first, they were afraid of us, too.
起初,他们也害怕我们。
Perhaps white people never visited this coast.
也许白人从来没有访问过这海岸。
We did not speak their language, of course, so we used our hands and faces to show that we were hungry.
我们不会说他们的话,当然,所要我们用手势和面部表情向他们展示我们很饿。
They came with food for us, but then they moved away quickly.
他们把事物拿给我们,但是他们很快就离开了。
We carried the food to our boat, and they watched us.
我们把食物搬上我们的船,他们在看着我们。
I tried and thank them, but I had nothing to give them.
我试着感谢他们,但是我没有什么能给他们的。
Just then two big wild cats came down to the shore from the mountains.
正在这个时候有两只大野猫从山上窜到了海岸
上。
I think they were leopards. The people were afraid of these wild cats, and the women
cried out.
我觉得它们是豹子。这些人很害怕夜猫们,并且女人们都哭喊起来了。
Quickly, I took a gun, and shot one of the animals.
我很快得拿起枪,射杀了其中一只。
The second wild cat ran back up into the mountains.
第二子掉头跑回山里去了。
Guns were new to these African people, and they were afraid of the loud noise and the smoke.
枪对这些非洲居民来说很新奇,他们害怕枪响声与烟雾。
But they were happy about the dead wild cat.
但是它们对死了的野猫很感兴趣。
I gave them the meat of the dead animal, and they gave us more food and water.
我送给他们这死兽的肉,他们也给了我们更多的食物与水。
We now had a lot of food and water, and we sailed on.
现在我们有了很多食物和水,我们继续航行。
Eleven days we came near the Cape Verde Islands.
11天后我们接近了佛得角群岛。
We could see them, but we couldn’t get near because there was no wind. We waited.
我们可以看得见它们,但是因为没有风,我们无法靠近。我们等待着。